When We Are Closed
Outside of the surgery's opening times it is still possible to obtain medical advice for non-emergencies by calling NHS 111. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.Call 111 if:
- You need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
- You think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
- You don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
- You need health information or reassurance about what to do
The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straightaway to the local service that can help you best. That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre or a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist or a late-opening chemist.
The nearest Walk-in Centres are situated at:
- Leigh Infirmary, The Avenue, Leigh, WN7 1HS (Tel 01942 264 000)
- Skelmersdale, 116-118 The Concourse, Skelmersdale, WN6 6LI (Tel 01695 554 260)
The nearest Accident and Emergency Department is:
- Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan Lane, Wigan WN1 2NN (Tel 01942 244 000)
Pharmacists are also qualified to give free health and medication advice.
GP Extended Access Service
The GP Extended Access Service is now offering appointments with a GP or Nurse for any patient registered within the Wigan Borough out of normal surgery hours. These surgeries run from 6.30 pm - 8.00 pm on weekdays and from 10.00 am - 4.00 pm on weekends and bank holidays. To make an appointment call 01942 482848.
Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.
In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.